Welcome back to another exciting week of blogging. In today's blog I will be discussion an important writing genre.  In our LIT session this week, my classmate and I explored a new genre of writing. Do you want to guess what it is? Did you say Poetry? 👎, try again....Persuasive writing is correct.

Do you know what is persuasive writing?  then come with me as we explore the many wonders of persuasive writing.



Persuasive writing is the ability to coax or convinced readers to agree with the authors viewpoint, it is often presented in an argument form. 

We also looked at the characteristics students should have in their written pieces. They are:




👉 Include a hook to grab readers attention.

👉 Ensure that their position is clearly stated.

👉 Present evidence and examples to support claim.

👉 Counterarguments are refuted.

👉 A summary is used to conclude the written piece

As I reflect on what was discuss so far, I came to the realization that persuasive writing and argument are the same.  I never before my session this week made the connection between persuasive writing and argument essay. A light bulb went off in my head with the thought that children from lower grades are already engaging in persuasive writing and speaking, for example, I remember in my class when students were asking for no homework, I told them if they can give a good convincing reason then I will not. 

Taken into consideration what was done in the class, that same example can be used as a guideline to help students understand what is persuasive writing.

When teaching students persuasive writing, teachers need to ensure that students go through each stage of the writing process, because this will help the students gain confidence in their writing and to ensure that their writing is properly tailored to the intended audience otherwise the written piece will not be very effective.

I Never really thought about the different ways one can demonstrate which are by using reasoning, emotional appeal and the appeal to character. It is funny, that as a teacher, we believe that what we do not know will not hurt anyone. Guess what 


After learning what entails in the persuasive genre, I have come to the realization that we are doing more harm than good the students in our care.

Persuasive writing can take the forms of essays, letters and posters. Where the use of pictures and words help the author get their message across.

I particularly like from the session and information gained is that students begin persuasive argument an an early age, like when children try to persuade their parents to allow them to stay up pass their bedtime. I also like how accommodations are made for the ESL students, it is important that all students no matter their learning level be involved in classroom learning.

Permit me to make a suggestion, I think having students work in groups when conducting any type of writing will be beneficial to them. Students gain the knowledge needed to judge whether a written piece is excellent and if their writing is at the level it should be. 




Comments

  1. I a m inagreement that persuasive and argumnet is the same. It is also true that students need to go through the writing process.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That comment about what we don't know might be hurting our students may be true to some extent, but not half as true as knowing yet not passing it on to them effectively. It is my hope and prayer that as WE learn all this new knowledge, we make every effort and try our best to impart it to our students every opportunity that we get. I pray as the going gets tough., the tough in us get going in that respect.

    I too like how consideration is made for ELs, as they are rapidly forming our new classroom culture, and we need as much support to deal with them as possible.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Descriptive Writing